Vegan Mince Pies
With Christmas just around the corner we think its a wonderful time to perfect your home made mince pies. Why not get in the festive spirt by taking just 1 hour out of you day to bake these delicious Christmas treats.
Just follow these easy steps and you will have a perfect mince pie.
- 1 ½ cup spelt flour
- 1 cup coconut oil (not melted)
- 1 chia egg (3tbsp water mixed with 1 tbsp chia seeds, let sit for 10 mins)
- 1 heaped tbsp. soya yogurt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 apple, grated
- Juice and zest from orange
- 1 cup raisins
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup dried mulberries
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground clove
- 1 tsp ground ginger
1. In a bowl mix flour, coconut oil, yogurt and chia eggs until you get a smooth firm dough. Wrap it in plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for about 30 minutes to rest.
3. Next take the dough, form the dough into balls leaving a small bit of the dough on the side to create the star shapes to put on the top.
5. Divide the filling equally and place in the moulds so it reaches just below the edge of the mould. Take the dough you left for the star, roll it out, then cut out your stars and place the tops lightly on the mincemeat.
6. Pop in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until slightly brown.
These delicious mince pies can be served hot or cold, we find them most enjoyable when they have been heated in the microwave for a few seconds. They will keep for up to 3 days in an air tight container preferably in the fridge or you can freeze them.
We hope you enjoy this vegan twist on a Christmas classic.