Fathers Day Beer ice creamThis recipe is simple yet effective.
Total prep time 20 minutes plus freeze time
5 egg yolks
12 oz of beer (one bottle)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup milk
about 1/4 cup sugar
a splash of vanilla extract (optional)
When choosing which beer to use we found that a dark beer works best because the end result is sweeter.
1. Start off by whisking the egg yolks and sugar together until they turn a pale yellow. At the same time heat the milk and cream in a saucepan on low heat, stirring occasionally. Once you notice the milk and cream mixture has formed a slight layer of skin take it off the heat.
2. Pour a small amount o the hot mixture into the eggs and whisk at the same time. You want to spoon in a little bit of the hot milk mixture at a time and continue whisking or else you could be left with scrambled eggs instead of a creamy custard.
3. Once the two mixtures are combined, pour back into the saucepan and heat on low. This process thickens the custard and will make the ice cream more creamy, however you don't want to let it get too hot. You will know when the custard is done when it is thick enough to coat a wooden spoon.
4. Run your custard through a sieve to get rid of any chunks of egg that may have formed.
5. Place the custard in the fridge to chill while working on the next step.
6. Pour one bottle of beer into a saucepan and heat on the lowest setting. This will reduce the amount of water and alcohol that is in te beer. You still want some alcohol to be in the ice cream but too much can keep the ice cream from freezing. I reduced my beer to a little more than one cup. if you are using any vanilla stir it in now.
7. Take the custard base and stir the reduced beer mixture into it. Place into the refrigerator and chill for at least 8 hours.
8. Now run the mixture through your ice cream maker. Every ice cream machine has different instructions so follow your own.
9. Once the mixture gets bigger and looks like ice cream rather than a liquid take it out of the machine and spoon it into a container with a lid and place it in the freezer for at least 5 hours. Then enjoy!