British Pie Week 7th - 13th of March 2016
Pie lovers everywhere, join us in the run up to British Pie Week 2016 as we celebrate this great British classic! Trying to find a healthy yet delicious recipe whilst celebrating this week wasn't easy, but we managed to find the perfect balanced recipe and we are here to share it with you. Our nation's favourite chef Jamie Oliver has come up with this super tasty, healthy and vegan recipe in the form of Vegan Sheperds Pie... It is rich, hearty & flavourful, not to mention filled with root-veg mash and zesty breadcrumbs.
• 600 g Maris Piper potatoes Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
• 600 g sweet potatoes
• sea salt & freshly ground black pepper Peel and chop all the potatoes into rough 2cm chunks. Place the Maris Pipers into a large
• 40 g dairy-free margarine pan of cold salted water over a medium heat. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 to 15
• 1 onion minutes, or until tender, adding the sweet potatoes after 5 minutes. Drain and leave to
• 2 carrots steam dry, then return to the pan with the margarine along with a pinch of salt & pepper.
• 3 cloves of garlic Mash until smooth, then set aside.
• 2 sticks of celery
• 1 tablespoon coriander seeds Peel and finely slice the onion, carrots and 2 garlic cloves, then trim and finely slice the
• olive oil celery. Bash the coriander seeds in a pestle & mortar until fine, then add it all to a medium
• ½ a small bunch of thyme pan over a medium heat with a good splash of olive oil. Pick in the thyme leaves, then cook
• 350 g chestnut mushrooms for around 10 minutes, or until softened.
• 12 sun-dried tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar Meanwhile, roughly chop the mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes. Add to the pan along
• vegan red wine with the vinegar and 2 tablespoons of the sun-dried tomato oil from the jar. Cook for a
• 100 ml organic vegetable stock further 10 minutes then add a splash of wine, turn up the heat, and allow it to boil & bubble
• 1 x 400 g tin of lentils away. Stir in the stock, lentils and chickpeas (juice and all), then leave it to tick away for 5 to
• 1 x 400 g tin of chickpeas 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened and reduced. Pick & roughly chop the parsley leaves,
• 5 sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley then stir into the pan. Season to taste, then transfer to a large baking dish (25cm x 30cm).
• 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
• 1 lemon , zest Spread the mash over the top, scuffing it up with the back of a spoon. Finely slice the rest of
• 30 g fresh breadcrumbs the garlic clove, then place into a bowl with the rosemary leaves, lemon zest, breadcrumbs &
• 1 x 400 g tin of chickpeas 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix well, sprinkle over the mash, then place in the hot oven for 10
• 5 sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley minutes, or until piping hot through. Place under the grill for a further 2 - 3 minutes, or
• 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary until golden, then serve with your favourite greens.
Read more at http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes