10 Foods To Boost Your Mood And Energy
January is the month of clean eating and trying to be healthier, however with the cold weather and the ever-present winter flu it can be difficult to stay motivated. That's why we have come up with 10 foods to add into your everyday diet to boost your mood and energy.
1) Green Tea - The magic ingredient is green tea, which is well known for its cancer fighting properties. Natural Antioxidants called polyphenols in the tea help block the growth of skin cancer cells. In fact, green tea has a whole host of other health benefits such as, it helps to burn fat, protects against heart disease, helps to lower blood pressure and can even prevent food poisoning. We recommend 1/2 cups a day, try to replace your caffeine fix with green tea and you will soon notice the difference.
2) Oranges - The perfect snack or drink, Oranges are full of Vitamin C, which protects cells by neutralizing free radicals. Free radicals cause chronic diseases like cancer and kidney disease. Oranges are great as a snack alternative to something with high amounts of processed sugar, they will give you the same energy boost but using natural sugars which are much more beneficial.
3) Dark Chocolate - Studies have shown that dark chocolate is very high in vitamins and minerals including Potassium, Copper, Magnesium and Iron. It also contains Theobromine which is shown to harden tooth enamel. Dark Chocolate is also a natural mood booster, chocolate contains (PEA) the same chemical your brain creates when you feel like your falling in love. Its more that wishful thinking, chocolate is good for you!
4) Tomatoes - Often considered a vegetable, though in actuality they are a citrus fruit. Tomatoes are a great source of Lycopere an antioxidant that protects your brain and fights depression-causing inflammation. They are also food for the skin, prevent several cancers and maintain strong bones. What more could you want! Tomato skins can also be used as a cleansing mask, take 4 large tomatoes peel and place the skin face down all over your face, leave for 10 minutes and then rinse.
5) Yogurt - Greek Yogurt specifically is a much-needed part of your diet. The power of protein, it is vital to cell growth, building muscle and repairing tissue. B12 is necessary for energy and healthy brain function and Greek yogurt is full of it. Plus, Greek yogurt goes well with most things.
6) Eggs - Do you want to feel fuller for longer? Eggs for breakfast are the answer, they have a high satiety index which makes you feel full for much longer. Eggs help to promote brain health especially in pregnant women. They also promote weight loss, healthy hair and stronger nails.
7) Apples - Its true what they say 'an apple a day, keeps the doctor away' Apples are a fruit that, give you whiter teeth, help you to avoid Alzheimer's, protect against Parkinson's, curb all sorts of cancers, control your diet and even boost your immune system.
8) Olive Oil - This is something every household has, it is a fat that's good for you. It protects you from heart disease. Controls bad cholesterol levels in your body while increasing the good cholesterol level. Olive oil is also a great source of antioxidants and contains anti-inflammatory substances.
9) Cinnamon - The Healing Spice. Cinnamon is one of the most powerful spice, its become famous for it's ability to improve blood sugar control in people with diabetes. It also lowers bad cholesterol, helps treat symptoms of Alzheimer's and has anti-inflammatory properties.
10) Avocado - They are incredibly nutritious. Avocados are loaded with heart-healthy fatty acids helping to prevent heart disease. They are also good for blood pressure, diabetes, cancer prevention and they have skin benefits, they help to reduce redness and irritation to the skin. Can be used in a face mask by adding half an avocado, half very ripe banana and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Apply to the skin leave for 10 minutes and then rinse.
Adding these foods to your diet will make you feel more energised and happier.